A place for me to display some of the varied projects that come out of my shop, as well as to "talk" about some of my experiences working with wood.

Monday 19 May 2014

Putting Oneway 1640 through its paces

My new lathe has been a round for a few weeks and it is a dream to use. I have been turning a few small projects just to get used to the controls and also to get it properly positioned in the space I have. I have also upgraded my sharpening setup to an 8" slow-speed grinder with a 180 grit CBN wheel from D-way. I wish I had done this a long time ago, these high tech (and expensive) wheels are optimized for HSS and one pass over the wheel and back to the lathe. I have an 8" white wheel from LV which is for re-shaping on the other side of the grinder.

Here's a few of the things I have spun out on the new lathe, which is just such an amazing piece of machinery:

I wanted a Longworth chuck for my last lathe and just never got around to making one; I had the Oneway jumbo jaws which did the trick when I needed to reverse a piece for finishing. This one is 16" in diameter and epoxied to one of the 3" faceplates my buddy Joey made for me.




The longworth came in handy for the first bowl I turned on the new baby - Apple about 9" diameter.

The first bowl from the new machine, this is a piece of Apple Dad picked up for me 15 years ago.
This was actually the first project turned, it will be a lamp once the hardware arrives.
The base is some of the same apple as above and the shade is pine.

My Walnut and maple handwheel
Oneway Handwheel hub.
The reverse side.
 One of the few things I did not like about the Oneway was the exposed thread on the outboard side of the headstock. I put a faceplate on the end to give me something to turn the spindle manually, but I did not want to tie up a faceplate for this. Obviously Oneway knows this is an issue so they make an aluminum handwheel hub so the owner can turn their own handwheel for their lathe. I have been using the new handwheel for a few days and its is the perfect size for my hand and is much safer than the faceplate.



Bacote
 I had picked up a few wine stopper kits at WIA last year from Craft Supplies and was looking for a quick project for the lathe and pulled these down. Yes I know that using this lathe to turn these small projects is like using a 12 gauge to kill a squirrel (yes I have); but I was on a roll - if I make them again I will use my bench top lathe - I promise!

 I have a few offcuts from tool handles that are on the shelf next to the lathe for small projects. I used the first two pieces I grabbed - bacote and cocobolo.

Cocobolo

The shapes for these things are everything under the sun, I did a few image searches and headed downstairs to make my own interpretation. These are apparently for re-capping a bottle of leftover wine; but I have never heard of that phenomenon - leftover wine? huh.







Back to the shop!!

No comments:

Post a Comment