A place for me to display some of the varied projects that come out of my shop, as well as to "talk" about some of my experiences working with wood.

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Some Tool Updates

Finally back to cleaning up some shop projects which I have been noodling on for a while. I have been reading quite a bit about mallets on the WoodNet forums, so decided to turn a few of my own. I have also picked up a new plane from Philip Marcou in New Zealand which is the most unbelievable smoother I have ever used.


Cocobolo Mallet


This mallet is glued up around a square core of ash, and the nice straight grain of the Cocobolo makes the joints  harder to discern. This mallet weighs 12 oz. overall which is a bit light but will work nicely for the smaller work and complement the heavier ones I got from Blue Spruce.

Cocobolo Mallet with Ash handle

Another View

Marcou Smoother

I recently ordered a new plane from Philip Marcou of Marcou Planes in New Zealand. This S20a smoother is one he had made up using a local hardwood known as Black Maire. I particularly liked the fact that a Kiwi plane was made using a wood only grown in New Zealand.

This plane is one serious piece of gear, weighing in at over 8 lbs, it is VERY stable in use. the adjustable mouth and thick blade make for some pretty thin shavings one can see through - can't wait to use this on my next table top.


Marcou Planes S20a Smoother - rear view showing blade adjuster and holding mechanism.

Marcou Planes S20a Smoother - front top view showing mouth adjustment screws and nice detail in front knob.
The new plane in use smoothing the mallet blanks for the next glue up stage - smooth baby.



Happy Shavings.





2 comments:

  1. That's a fine looking, very solid plane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, Philip does beautiful work. You are going to enjoy that plane for years. :o) Fred

    ReplyDelete